Friday, September 2, 2011

Skirt to dress refashion!


Skirt before!

I bought a skirt at the thrift store over the winter.  I loved the pattern and the material was very nice- thick and slightly stretchy.  I had originally planned on just making a skirt for my older daughter, but when I really looked at it I liked how the thick waistband would hit my  youngest daughter about empire length.  So a dress for baby girl was born (like she needs ANY more clothes!)  The dress had a zipper in the back so I cut off about 2+ inches on either side and kept the A-line shape.  I sewed elastic along the bottom of the waist- now at the empire waist and I don't think it needed it.  Once I buy a seam ripper- I'll probably take it off.  If only I did it the proper way with casing instead of simply stretching and sewing!!  I used the sides I cut off to make thick straps.  I LOVE how it turned out.  I should have hemmed it up, but I really like the length- no matter how impractical it is for an 18 month old!  I think once I get the elastic out of there I'll be able to stick a shirt underneath to extend the season a bit. 

I like my new dress mommy!

Pretty little poser!

Blurry back of  the dress


6 comments:

  1. What a cute little dress!!! Sounds like you didn't even use a pattern... very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't she a doll!!! And her new dress is adorable too! :) Thanks for linking this up to Fancy This Fridays Laurie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute dress! And love that SMILE!

    I'd love to have you share this and any other of your amazing posts over at my linky party Create and Share. It posts every Wednesday. We open the party Tuesday evening at 8 pm for those who like to link up early. Hope you stop by...and follow too! ;-)
    http://thetrendytreehouse.blogspot.com/2011/09/create-and-share-features-too.html

    Tara @Trendy Treehouse
    http://thetrendytreehouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness...your daughter is too cute! That cheesy grin...love it! Great refashion! The dress turned out so cute.

    I would love for you to link this up to my new linky fashion party called DIY Diva Thursdays! We party until Monday, so you have plenty of time to stop by. Hope to see you!

    Kara
    www.mineforthemaking.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday! Loved all your projects!

    Come back on Thursday for more fun!! :)

    Melanie
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete